I was feeling particularly reflective as my birthday approached this year, a stark comparison to last year’s debauchery when I danced barefoot in an uptown fete at Crop Over. At the time everything felt ‘perfect’ and I couldn’t imagine myself being any happier, but boy was I wrong!
365 days later, after a whirlwind of major changes, copious amounts of tears and endless revelations, I’m now truly happier than I have ever been. Not only have I managed to achieve the things that I previously dreamed of, but I’ve also managed to cultivate a certain level of inner peace and balance that previously didn’t exist.
Aside from life events, there were a few books that contributed to this heightened sense of self-awareness that I highly recommend. In the meantime, here are my blessings, lessons and reflections over the past year:
- I’m now paid to do something that I love and once wished for.
- I’ve met some incredible people, had amazing experiences and have been blessed with endless inspiration in life.
- My natural hair is flourishing and my edges are intact #BlackGirlMagic.
- It’s perfectly okay to seek help — in fact, always ask for help if you need it. There’s no prize for suffering in silence, trust me.
- Life gets better. Always. No exceptions.
- There are some mind-blowingly amazing people out there…
- I’ve managed to learn the art of ‘letting go’ and finding inner peace. The things that once bothered me and filled me with anxiety are now a non-factor; time is truly the greatest healer.
- Destination disease is real! As soon as you let go of the idea that your happiness is tied to a specific goal/marker, things become easier.
- It’s always worth taking a (calculated) risk.
My final takeaway is that internal reflection is a useful tool in growing and developing as a person. My preferred method of choice is journalling, which may not work for everyone, but it allows me to see what my goals and intentions once were, how I have achieved them, and where I still have room to grow.
I also don’t believe in waiting for the calendar year to reflect on these changes: birthdays, academic or financial years, can be the perfect opportunity to turn over a new leaf. Stop waiting for tomorrow.
I really enjoyed this post and the reflection you gave comparing this year’s and last year’s birthday. It’s only looking back that you see how far you’ve grown and developed. I particularly liked the ‘blessings, lessons and reflections’ sections. You offered some great suggestions regarding self development and attaining inner peace, which I’m sure a lot of people can take away and implement into their lives – my favourite line was ‘time is truly the greatest healer’ which is so true! I look forward to reading more of your insightful work. Maintain your happiness and keep striving to better yourself.